Chapter 8: Case Study 2: Liliana

Assalamualaikum wr. wb.


As of today, I will share another chapter from the ebook "I Still Can't Speak English". IN this chapter, Jason West will do some research to Liliana why she can't fluently speaks english.


"Liliana found me in a Facebook group I set up called I Still Can’t Speak English. She got some free sessions with me because she won my competition to find the most frustrated English speaker. Liliana had been trying to learn how to speak English comfortably for over twenty years, using different methods that cost her lots of money. She found me on Facebook and joined my group for people who have almost given up hope of ever speaking English comfortably. She is now in her forties and specifically wanted to improve her spoken English to find a job in Bogota."

There were lots of people in the group trying to get some free help from me. Below is what she wrote about her struggle to improve her spoken English (my comments are in orange).
Results In the ‘before’ clip from our first conversation Liliana struggles a bit and you can hear the nervousness in her voice. 

The ‘after’ clip is from her last session with me (session 20), the lesson on dreams and dreaming.

http://languagesoutthere.podomatic.com/entry/2012-05-31T07_19_10-07_00

In the second clip she controls the conversation and talks with minor input from me for almost three full minutes whilst she tells me a story about one of her previous English teachers and his dream about her.
The aim of working with Liliana was to finally, after over twenty years of English study using other courses, help her to feel comfortable speaking English with a fluent English speaker.
Have a listen and let me know what you think?

Now listen to what Liliana herself thinks about her experience with EOT, This is the last 10 minutes of our session 18 and I thought it was such a nice discussion and Liliana sounded so happy with her EOT course that I wanted to create a separate shorter clip to post online. What we talk about here is what is possible if you just do what Liliana did and follow the EOT worksheets, do the speaking practice on Skype and listen to your recordings a few times.

This was in a Facebook message from Liliana a few months after we finished the course, “Jason, you have been the best teacher I’ve ever had. Without your help I had not been able to improve my fluency! ”
It makes me very proud to have helped Liliana to get over her fear of speaking English after so many years of trying and spending so much money (she even paid for British Council courses, ouch!).

Thanks for working hard Liliana and for being a great example for others who might think that they will never be able to speak English comfortably.

And thank you for reading my blog again.

Wassalamualaikum wr. wb.

Komentar

Postingan Populer